The School Library
We are very pleased that the library can begin to open to children this term.
Children are encouraged to select new books, with the emphasis on reading for pleasure as we believe that reading is something that we can all enjoy.
If you have any outstanding library books, please do bring them back into school as soon as possible as we do still have a lot of library books still to be returned.
- Reception – Friday
- Year 1 – Wednesday
- Year 2 – Wednesday
- Year 3 – To be confirmed shortly
- Year 4 – To be confirmed shortly
- Year 5 – Monday
- Year 6 – Monday
Rain Before Rainbows
Walker Books have released a free e-book Rain Before Rainbows by Smriti Halls and illustrated by David Litchfield to raise awareness for Save the Children’s Save With Stories campaign. You can access the book here.
Royal Society Young People’s Book Prize 2021
We are delighted that we have been selected to participate in the Royal Society Young People’s Book Prize again this year. This is a real privilege as the judging panel will help to choose this year’s winning book. The judges from Bathwick St Mary this year are Alex, Edie and Honor from Year 5 and Ella-Sofia, Sonny and Zack from Year 6.The shortlisted books are:
- 100 Things to Know About Saving the Planet
- Agent Asha – Mission Shark Bytes
- I am a Book. I Am a Portal to the Universe
- I Ate Sunshine for Breakfast
- Under the Stars: Astrophysics for Everyone
Author visitsWe have not been able to organise author visits in the last year, but please see below for the fabulous visits which have taken place in the last two years.
- A live Zoom event with Cressida Cowell in June 2021 to talk about her new book in the Wizards of Once series – Never and Forever.
- Virtual participation in the Reading is Magic festival.
- Hannah Shaw in February 2020 to talk to Years 1, 2 and 3 about her new book Unipiggle: Unicorn Muddle.
- Anna James in October 2019 to talk to Years 4 and 6 about her Pages & Co series of books.
- Stewart Foster in July 2019 to talk to Years 4 and 6 about his new book Check Mates
- Abi Elphinstone in June 2019 to talk to Years 3, 4 and 5 about her new book Rumblestar
- Catherine Bruton in May 2019 to talk to Year 6 about her critically acclaimed new book No Ballet Shoes In Syria
- Fleur Hitchcock in March 2019 to talk to the whole school about her new books Clifftoppers and the Boy Who Flew
- Costa Children’s Book Award winner Jasbinder Bilan in February 2019 to talk to Years 4 and 5 about her debut novel Asha and the Spirit Bird
- Carina Axelsson in January 2019 to talk to Years 4 and 6 about her new book Royal Rebel
- Years 5 and 6 also enjoyed an inspiring trip to Frome in February 2019 to see the brilliant authors Kiran Millwood Hargrave, Nicki Thornton and Maz Evans. Many thanks to Bath Festivals and The Little Things Magazine for organising this free event.