The School Library
During the week each class has a dedicated library session, during which they are encouraged to select new books and talk about what they are reading. The emphasis is on reading for pleasure as we believe that reading is something that we can all enjoy. As well as the regular weekly sessions (see below for the timetable), we also organise events such as book fairs, book swaps, storytelling sessions and activities related to World Book Day.
Library Timetable 2018/2019
- Monday – Year 4
- Tuesday – Year 2 and Year 6
- Wednesday – Year 1
- Thursday – Year 3 and Year 5
- Friday – Reception
The final library sessions of the school year will be in the week Monday 1st to Friday 5th July. After this week, we will be collecting in all of the library books. This means that books can be returned to the library, but no new books can be borrowed.
After school library session for KS1 – Mondays 3.30 – 4pm. Mrs Turner will be in the library so that all KS1 children can read, borrow and return books and use the library computer. All children need to be accompanied by a parent please. Sessions will run from Monday 29th April to Monday 1st July.
Lunchtime session for KS2 – Monday lunchtimes. Mrs Turner will be in the library so that Y3-Y6 can read books, borrow and return books and use the library computer. Sessions will run from Monday 29th April to Monday 1st July.
Royal Society Young People’s Book Prize
We are delighted to announce that Bathwick St Mary have been selected as a Judging Panel for the Royal Society Young People’s Book Prize 2019. This is a very exciting opportunity for a group of children to read and judge the shortlisted non-fiction books, with their votes helping to choose the overall winner. The shortlisted books (and more information about the prize) can be found here: Royal Society Young People’s Book Prize
Upcoming author visitsWe are very excited to announce an upcoming visit to the school by Stewart Foster to talk about his new book Check Mates. There will be more information to follow, together with the opportunity to buy signed books.
Recent author visits
In the last year, we have welcomed the following fabulous authors to Bathwick St Mary:
- Abi Elphinstone in June to talk to Years 3, 4 and 5 about her new book Rumblestar
- Catherine Bruton in May to talk to Year 6 about her critically acclaimed new book No Ballet Shoes In Syria
- Fleur Hitchcock in March to talk to the whole school about her new books Clifftoppers and the Boy Who Flew
- Jasbinder Bilan in February to talk to Years 4 and 5 about her debut novel Asha and the Spirit Bird
- Carina Axelsson in January to talk to Years 4 and 6 about her new book Royal Rebel
- Years 5 and 6 also enjoyed an inspiring trip to Frome in February to see the brilliant authors Kiran Millwood Hargrave, Nicki Thornton and Maz Evans. Many thanks to Bath Festivals and The Little Things Magazine for organising this free event.
World Book Day
Thank you to everyone who supported a wonderful World Book Day whether by dressing up as your favourite book character, supporting the Travelling Book Fair or entering the favourite word competition. We had a fabulous time celebrating reading with Fleur Hitchcock. Every class was able to spend time with her and ask questions about what life is like as an author.Watch this space for photographs of some of the amazing costumes!