The School Library
During the week each class has a dedicated library session, during which they are encouraged to select new books and talk about what they are reading. The emphasis is on reading for pleasure as we believe that reading is something that we can all enjoy. As well as the regular weekly sessions (see below for the timetable), we also organise events such as book fairs, book swaps, storytelling sessions and activities related to World Book Day.
Library Timetable 2018/2019
- Monday – Year 4
- Tuesday – Year 2 and Year 6
- Wednesday – Year 1
- Thursday – Year 3 and Year 5
- Friday – Reception
The final library session of the term will be Thursday 4th April. Library sessions will restart on Tuesday 23rd April.
After school library session for KS1 – Mondays 3.30 – 4pm. Mrs Turner will be in the library so that all KS1 children can read, borrow and return books and use the library computer. All children need to be accompanied by a parent please. The final KS1 after school session of the term will be Monday 1st April. Sessions will restart on Monday 29th April.
Lunchtime session for KS2 – Monday lunchtimes. Mrs Turner will be in the library so that Y3-Y6 can read books, borrow and return books and use the library computer. The final KS2 lunchtime session of the term will be Monday 1st April. Sessions will restart on Monday 29th April.
Recent author visits
We are delighted to have welcomed the following fabulous authors to Bathwick St Mary this term:
- Carina Axelsson on Thursday 31st January to talk to Years 4 and 6 about her new book Royal Rebel
- Jasbinder Bilan on Monday 4th February to talk to Years 4 and 5 about her debut novel Asha and the Spirit Bird
- Years 5 and 6 also enjoyed an inspiring trip to Frome in February to see the brilliant authors Kiran Millwood Hargrave, Nicki Thornton and Maz Evans. Many thanks to Bath Festivals and The Little Things Magazine for organising this free event.
World Book Day
Thank you to everyone who supported a wonderful World Book Day whether by dressing up as your favourite book character, supporting the Travelling Book Fair or entering the favourite word competition. We had a fabulous time celebrating reading with Fleur Hitchcock. Every class was able to spend time with her and ask questions about what life is like as an author.Watch this space for photographs of some of the amazing costumes!