Dos and don’ts for children who bring sandwiches
The vast majority of our children choose to take advantage of the wonderful, nutritious school meals prepared by our kitchen team, led by Sue Tugwell. However, another option a few parents consider is for their child to bring a packed lunch. Read on for more information.
Please bear in mind:
- Sandwiches must be sent in a plastic container, clearly and indelibly marked on both lid and box with your child’s name.
- Drinks must be in unbreakable containers (not flasks with glass liners) and non-fizzy. No hot drinks or soups are permitted.
- Sweets must not be provided as part of the meal, or for consumption at any other time of the day.
- Please provide only the amount of food which you know your child can comfortably eat. All uneaten food will be returned home in the sandwich box.
- Your child will be responsible for his/her own sandwich box. These are to be placed on shelves in bags in the cloakroom areas outside each class.
- If your child forgets his/her sandwiches we will do our best to provide a meal from the School Meals Service. Numbers of meals to be cooked are given to the kitchen by 9.45 a.m. and meals ordered by that time must be taken and the appropriate school meal charge will be payable.
- Parents of children taking sandwiches are asked to cover the School Meals Service charges for setting up and removing packed lunch tables.
“At lunchtime in Infants you sit with your brother or sister. I was really sad when I moved up to Juniors and couldn’t sit with my little brother anymore!”A child, Year 3